I have lived in Oxfordshire for more than 25 years with my wife and our 3 (now grown up) children. For 12 of those years I served on Ardley with Fewcott Parish Council before standing down when elected first as district councillor for Fringford & Heyfords ward at Cherwell District Council (CDC) in 2015 and then as county councillor for Ploughley Division at Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) in 2017.
The two wards are largely the same, with just a few villages different:
I am the District Councillor for the following parishes: Ardley with Fewcott ; Bainton ; Baynards Green ; Bucknell ; Caulcott ; Chesterton ; Cottisford ; Finmere ; Fringford ; Fulwell ; Godington ; Hardwick with Tusmore ; Hethe ; Heyford Park ; Juniper Hill ; Kirtlington ; Little Chesterton ; Lower Heyford ; Middleton Stoney ; Mixbury ; Newton Morrell ; Newton Purcell ; Stoke Lyne ; Stratton Audley ; Upper Heyford
I am the County Councillor for the following parishes: Ardley with Fewcott ; Bainton ; Baynards Green ; Blackthorn ; Caulcott ; Chesterton ; Cottisford ; Finmere ; Fringford ; Fulwell ; Godington ; Hardwick with Tusmore ; Hethe ; Heyford Park ; Juniper Hill ; Launton ; Little Chesterton ; Lower Heyford ; Middleton Stoney ; Mixbury ; Newton Morrell ; Newton Purcell ; Stoke Lyne ; Stratton Audley ; Upper Heyford
Effectively representing and helping my constituents, ensuring their voice is heard in the council chamber, is my main priority. They can be best summed up as follows:
•Ensuring our villages, particularly those like Kirtlington that are under frequent development pressure, are protected against inappropriate & speculative development
• Ensuring the so called satellite villages around Bicester and Heyford Park, such as Bucknell, Ardley with Fewcott, Chesterton, Middleton Stoney and Lower Heyford benefit from the development going on there when it comes to managing traffic impacts and community facilities.
• Supporting the rural economy and protecting our beautiful countryside
• Working with villages to help them develop traffic management and calming schemes
• Supporting community facilities and the volunteers that run them, such as playing fields, play areas, village halls, playgroups, military veterans, lunch clubs and gardening societies, to name but a few
• Being a strong voice and representing your priorities in the big infrastructure negotiations and consultations for schemes such as HS2 and East West Rail, particularly for affected villages such as Stoke Lyne, Godington, Stratton Audley, Newton Purcell, Newton Morrell, Mixbury and Finmere.
• Supporting preschool groups and schools to help build better local provision and support young families, for example the all weather play area recently installed for the preschool group in Fringford.
• Enhancing our natural environment. For example, delivering the Burnehyll Woodland Project at Chesterton, ensuring Stratton Audley Quarry is protected as a nature reserve and brought into public use and securing the funds to complete the A4421 cycle path
• Promoting a housing agenda that is inclusive and makes provision for everyone, including our young people.
• Assisting the community development and needs of the exciting community emerging at Heyford Park
I am also a cabinet member at both CDC and OCC, where amongst other things, I am responsible for delivering the recently announced partnership working between the two authorities. On behalf of CDC, I also serve as non-executive director on the board of Graven Hill Village Development Co. Ltd, where I have responsibility for finance, audit, risk and oversight. Graven Hill is the UK’s largest self and custom build development, consisting of 1900 homes, a third of them affordable and shared ownership, plus one million square feet of commercial space.
In my downtime, we enjoy getting out and about with our young Lab, Barney, reading, socialising, supporting our family as they begin to make their way in life and generally hanging around any photo opportunity where I can make use of my extensive collection of high viz clothing 🙄